(email@example.com, June 2001)
- Gas Stove + Fuel (if you’ve been using a fuel canister for a while, take a second one along for when it runs out halfway through cooking your dinner)
- Lighter (much less hassle than matches)
- Mess Kit
- Plastic box to keep flies away from food
- Foil (wrap up food in foil and put it in a fire, or use it to put food on during and after cooking)
- Wooden skewers (cooking devices and chopstick in one)
- Butter/Oil (and No Lard!)
- Biodegradable Detergent + Washing up pad
- Precut firewood if its going to be wet, or an axe/saw to cut reasonable sized bits.
- Those neat ‘fish-shaped’ flat tongs for holding food in the fire.
- Kettle/Cup (easier than heating water in a mess can)
- Water Filter/purification tablets (easier to buy bottles though)
- Sleeping bag
- Ground roll
- Seam sealant for tent
- Suitable clothes (a hat makes you much warmer, best to keep inside plastic bags in case it rains)
- Umbrella makes things less bad if it rains.
- Sunglasses + Sunblock (even in Scotland)
- Water bottle (or just buy some juice and reuse the bottle)
- Toothbrush + toothpaste + bag/box for toothbrush
- Face cloth
- Shaving kit
- Toilet paper
- Credit cards/money
- Tools: spanners, screwdrivers, pump, chain tool
- Spares: Chain link, spare bulbs
- Puncture repair kit (for tubeless tyres, if you have them)
- Chain oil
- Spare gloves if it looks rainy.
- Sharp Knife – fixed knife is better than folding swiss army knife. It’s
stronger and less likely to fold and cut you.
- Random bit of cloth for wiping hands, cleaning headlight etc.
- Plastic bags for wet stuff, storage etc.
- Book to read in morning before leaving.
- String/wire/duct tape
- Fishing line/hook
- Day bag – otherwise you’ll be carrying a rucksack around.
- First Aid Kit – sharp knifes make nasty cuts.
- Bowsaw – for cutting wood
- Muslei bars (max calories version 100cal)
- Porridge (200cal/serving)
- Dried soup (100cal/serving)
- Dried rice meal (400cal/packet)
- Semoline (150cal/serving)
- Tuna (170cal/tin)
- Noodles (400cal/packet)
- Cheese (1600cal/block)
- Peanut butter (100cal/tablespoon)
- Blister plaster
- Reflective bag
- Map + compass + gps
- Iodine tablets
- Waterproofed boots
- Midge repellant
- Tick tweezer (hours of fun)
- Energy bar/sweets