Working!

I’ve bolted the two pillow-block bearings onto a bit of wood to stop them moving around. This is clamped to the desk, with a couple of other bits of wood below. These serve to get the shaft at the right height for the drill, and also they act as a rudimentary tool rest below the workpiece.
I’ve already been using the lathe, and you can see that the workpiece has become somewhat rounder. I started using a chisel to cut the wood, but it would just catch in the work. I ended up using a rasp to remove the wood, and used sandpaper to give a nice finish to the end of the wood.

>>> next page >>>